The Future of Blogging – Predictions for 2009Posted by Mert Erkal on Dec 29, 2008 in Blogging | 8 comments
Some people say the blogging is dead, and we are living in the era of microblogging. Actually, microblogging helps busy people join the conversation while they are on the move, share their ideas, and build a community. Every microblogger is a potential blogger. I see the future of blogging very bright. I share my predictions for 2009 and onwards in this post.
- More Interactivity: Blogs will become more and more interactive. Videos will play an import role in this. Bloggers will learn how to capture fancy-looking and professional videos to differentiate themselves in the blogosphere.
- Customization: How about creating various landing pages for different types of visitors? There will be major improvements in blogging platforms which will let your readers customize the way your blog looks.
- Mobile Blogging: Bearing in mind the increase in smartphones which are coming with pre-installed blogging type software, the major growth will be in mobile blogging. Did you know that WordPress has released a version for the iPhone a few months ago so that the people on the move could blog? For more predictions on mobile blogging and Google’s reaction to this take a look at Predictions for Google’s 2009
- Make Money Blogging: Blogging makes money. The financial crisis in the world caused many well-educated and smart people lose their jobs. This will continue rising in 2009. Many of them will try making money online with blogs. Thus the number of blogs, and bloggers will continue growing. Also the competition in the make money blogs segment will be fierce.
- Companies will discover blogging: During the financial crisis, even the giant companies had to cut their marketing and advertising costs. They will discover blogging as a very cheap, effective, and creative way of promoting their services and products. Look how HubSpot’s blog is getting much more links and traffic than their website: Combine SEO, Blogging, and Social Media for Results – Part 1
- Work together: Sites like CollabFinder will make working together a lot easier for bloggers. Bloggers will be looking for partners to become big. Especially the probloggers will work together to cope with the fierce competition in make money with blogs segment.
- Building a community: Blogging is all about telling stories and connecting like minded people. The bloggers who are capable of building a community will become more popular and successful in 2009.
- Bloggers meet SEO: Ever increasing traffic and ranking competition in the blogosphere will force bloggers re-discover SEO and SEO tools. Hard times for crab SEO tools producers. This time it won’t be easy for you to cheat bloggers with your ordinary products. Many SEO tools will be replaced by better and more sofisticated, yet cheaper ones.
- Blog Ethics & Rules: As the number of blogs and bloggers increase, the blogging ethics will become much more important in 2009. Miguel Wickert has already started writing the rules. See Blog Ethics: Rule 1- NO DAMN POP-UPS!( I hate those damn pop-ups too!)
These are my predictions for 2009. How do you see the future of blogging? Please share by leaving a comment to this post.