If you released your ebook and nobody downloaded it except your family and best friends, the possible reason was because there was no incentive to circulate it. Ebooks spread when a person wants to tell other people about it. Sometimes it is just to feel important or smart, to help others by directing them to a book which can help them.
There is another way to encourage circulation of your ebook. You can offer prizes or referral fees. This can result in a viral effect as each person is forced to include their friends, or family or work colleagues in order to get the benefit from your ebook.
In my case, i choose none of the above methods for spreading the word Bloghology. I must admit, i was lucky to have 24 participants and a lot of blogger friends helping me spread the word. Here is what i did to spread the word:
- Ilker Yoldas designed Bloghology buttons which increased the number of downloads significantly. Without buttons you have no chance at all to spread it like a virus. Almost all participating bloggers put these buttons on their blogs.
- I promoted Bloghology at scribd.com. Scribd groups are a great way to share documents with your friends, school, or organization. I strongly suggest you to promote your ebook here.
- I regularly update Bloghology Blog Catalog group. Create a group titled with the same name as your ebook and invite your blog catalog friends to join. Promote it regularly. Update your members every 2-3 days.
- I created Facebook Bloghology group. It is another effective way to promote your ebook. Don’t miss Facebook!
- Finally i launched www.bloghology.org and added a sign up form for the 2nd edition of Bloghology. A landing page like this will definitely boost the popularity of your ebook and increase the number of downloads.
I hope Viral Marketing with an Ebook series will guide you when writing and marketing your own ebook. In case you face with any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than happy to help you.