Posted by Mert Erkal on Aug 20, 2009 in Blogging | 5 comments
Even the most popular bloggers face with writer’s block sometimes. They feel like it is the end of their blogging. If you are in a similar situation, you can use Google’s new feature called Wonder Wheel to overcome writer’s block.
Thanks to search engine wars between Google and Bing, Google has recently introduced new search engine features which are quite useful for bloggers. Let me tell you step by step how you can use Google’s Wonder Wheel to find new blog post ideas:
- Find a keyword that is related to your blogging niche, such as “make money online”
- Search “paid blogging” in Google
- Right under the search form you will find “+show options”
- Click on “+show options” , and Google will take you to the new search engine features.
- Close to the bottom right hand side you will find “wonder wheel”
- Click on “wonder wheel” and Google will show a diagram on your screen that is very similar to a mind map. On the diagram you will find all related keywords that are tied with paid blogging, such as “make money blogging” or “make money online blog”
- Click on any keyword and you will get all the search results that are related to that keyword including reviews, blog posts, forum posts, and videos.
When you feel like you are stuck, go to Google’s Wonder Wheel to find new and interesting blog post ideas. Make this a daily habit, and you will always have new blog post ideas to write about…
Posted by Mert Erkal on Aug 16, 2009 in Problogger | 11 comments
In October 2006 I first heard the word problogging when I was surfing the web during my leisure time in office. I was so bored with my daily job that I was looking for alternative ways to earn my living. I somehow came across Darren Rowse’s famous Problogger.net blog. At first I could not believe what is written over there. Even though I did not believe, it sounded perfect to me because reading and writing have always been my favorite hobbies. Within two or three weeks time, I’d created my first blogspot blog in order to try blogging. Since then I’ve run many blogs. I’ve transitioned from part time blogger to full time blogger through the time.
Along the way I face with many challenges. There have been good times and bad times. I thought I’d create a list of things I wish someone had told me in my early blogging days. Here’s my top 5 Lessons Learnt in my 4 years of blogging. I will appreciate if you write your own ‘lessons’ list and let me know about it in comments below.
Posted by Mert Erkal on Aug 14, 2009 in Problogger | 1 comment
Today I read a great blog post titled The Evolution of Blogging by Om Malik. According to Om, blogging needs to evolve because the nature of content sharing or publishing have changed drammatically. Services like Twitter and FriendFeed have made content sharing easier. But the blogging platforms like WordPress are still way behing this change. I certainly agree with Om Malik.
Om’s post remind me that since very long time I did not publish any post to my blog. I was on a holiday. Well, frankly speaking, for a problogger almost everyday is a holiday if you are well organized. I consciously stopped and thought about the evolution of Search For Blogging for a while. Finally I decided to focus more on blog monetization, problogging issues and SEO during the post-summer season.
Posted by Mert Erkal on Aug 3, 2009 in Blogging | 9 comments
Using list posts has always been a very popular technique among bloggers wanting to write content that spreads from one blogger to the other. Check the front page of Delicious, Digg and you’ll see that much of the hottest content on the web is written in this style. Let’s take a look why list posts are powerful for bloggers:
- List posts look neat
- List posts can add to the ease of writing
- List posts can go viral
- List posts are scannable
- List posts can be comprehensive
- List posts keep posts succinct
- List posts are persuasive
- List posts break down the complicated