Posted by Mert Erkal on Jan 31, 2008 in Blog | 9 comments
In part 2 i would like to go into detail about how to compile your e-book. Let’s go step by step:
What to Write About?
You are the only person who can answer this question. My answer is; write on something you feel comfortable about. Like switching from blogger platform to WordPress or making money online based on your past experiences.
The problem with ebooks is that there are already a lot of ebooks in the market. If you replicate what has already been said, you have no chance at all to stand out from the crowd. I suggest you to be original. Present your ideas in creative ways that have never been used before.
There are key elements you should summarize before starting the whole process:
- Be original, use your own content, do not copy or steal from other books
- You better demonstrate proof, give your readers examples they can learn from, do not write something you have never tested before, do not cheat people
- The quality of your book’s presentation is very critical for ultimate success.
Above all, you need to focus on how your ebook can add value to other people. Find a good answer to this question and do your best to realize it.
How Can You Make an Ebook?
PDF is the best format for an ebook. The most common way of compiling an ebook is to write it in Microsoft Word and then convert it to PDF by using some free software.
I tried this while i have been trying to compile Bloghology. No way! It is not so easy if you are not a Word Processing genius.
How did I Compile Bloghology then?
I found that Open Office has recently become a standard for compilation of ebooks in the blogosphere. Frankly speaking, it is much more easy to compile your ebook with Open Office Writer. If you are familiar with Microsoft Word, it will take 5-10 minutes to start using Open Office Writer.
The good thing is it is completely free. You don’t need to pay for using Open Office package.
Another good thing about compiling an ebook with Open Office Writer is that you can find an ebook template serving your own needs for free. This is an incredible time-saver. You will understand better when you start writing your own ebook.
How To Download Open Office?
Follow this link first, and select your operating system: Download Open Office
Where to Find ebook templates for Open Office?
You are so lucky, i already found quite a few good ebook templates and tutorials for you. Please follow the links below to get them:
Open Office Templates and Tutorials
Open Office Ready Made Templates
Don’t worry, in Part 3 we will go into detail about using Open Office Writer and ebook templates. By the way, have you found what to write about?
Posted by Mert Erkal on Jan 30, 2008 in Blog | 5 comments
What is Viral Marketing?
Have you ever heard of the term “viral marketing”? The term is regularly used by my Blog Mastermind mentor Yaro Starak. Imagine you write an excellent ebook which spreads like a virus from one blogger to another. This is called “viral marketing”.
I assume you understand what an e-book is. You may check Blog Profits Blueprint by Yaro Starak as a text book example. Yaro used this ebook to promote his Blog Mastermind program. I must admit, he was so successful that i also signed up with his program after reading the book.
The viral ebook bring in traffic in many ways. You can distribute the book via your blog which hopefully increases your search engine rankings and direct traffic. Within the book you may link to your blog posts which brings people back to your blog. Plus you also have the benefit of highlighting yourself (or your blog) as an expert source of information on a topic.
Ideally, i suggest you to use buttons to maximize the number of downloads after you finish compiling your ebook. You may kindly ask your blogging friends to put the buttons on their blogs as well.
Bloghology Case Study
Bloghology has worked like a viral ebook for me and for the participants. As of today, around 200 blogs are displaying the Bloghology buttons designed by Ilker Yoldas . Profiles of 24 participating bloggers, their photos, links to their best posts, and their interviews are travelling around the blogosphere. I still evaluate every single opportunity to promote Bloghology.
The number of downloads have surpassed 2500 by today. The good thing is Bloghology will continue to bring in traffic long after it is written and released.
How will the next Bloghology look like?
Well, as i mentioned before, i am going to make it a monthly event and the number of participants will be limited to 15.
I received very valuable feedback on the first edition of Bloghology. Some bloggers find it a bit long. Thus i decided to limit the number of participants to 15. I think about 25-30 pages is good for Bloghology. Therefore the next edition will be maximum 30 pages long. When compared to first edition’s 77 pages, it will be much more easy to read at one go.
I decided to include audio and video for the next edition of Bloghology. I think this way i can increase the impact. There are thousands of people producing ebooks, yet only a few include video/audio within the book. I believe this is going to be an interesting experience for me and for the participating bloggers.
Finally, i bought www.bloghology.org to create a blog which focuses on Bloghology only.
What is in it for you?
I strongly suggest you to create your own viral book if you want to increase your traffic gradually. Even though compilation takes most of your time, you will be rewarded with the incoming traffic.
In Part 2 i will tell you about how to write an ebook, which software to choose, how to plan etc. Now, your responsibility is to think about the answer to one question : What should you write about?
Posted by Mert Erkal on Jan 29, 2008 in Blog | 8 comments
I would like to update you about the final status of Bloghology:
- The number of blogs displaying Bloghology buttons have increased to 175 as of today. My target is to have 500 blogs displaying the buttons. If you haven’t put one of the buttons to your blog, please do so.
- The number of Bloghology downloads are 2101 until now. When we reach 500 blogs, the number of downloads will increase significantly.
- I have started promoting Bloghology at scribd.com. Scribd groups are a great way to share documents with your friends, school, or organization. I strongly suggest you to promote your documents here (Thanks to Tali Shapiro!)
- I regularly update Bloghology Blog Catalog group. Please feel free to join the group.
- If you have a Facebook profile, you are also kindly invited to join Facebook Bloghology group.
I will appreciate if you help me spread the word. I will bear in mind your contribution to Bloghology when choosing the 2nd edition participants.
I received a lot of positive feedback on Bloghology. Therefore i changed my mind, and decided to make it a monthly event. However, when it becomes a monthly event, we have to limit the number of participants to 15 due to limited time.
I will design another blog at www.bloghology.org so that you will sign up for the next edition and be informed regarding last minute updates. Already bought www.bloghology.org for this purpose.
I am glad that most of the bloggers liked 2007 Bloghology. Yet i am sure there are still things we can improve all together. Please download 2007 Bloghology and give me feedback. Your constructive critisism is very important. Thanks in advance!
Posted by Mert Erkal on Jan 28, 2008 in Blog | 3 comments
As i mentioned before, article marketing has always been one of my favorites when it comes to online marketing and promotion. Every now and then we see new article marketing submission directories.
how to is a new free article submission service and portal. You are free to submit your articles and tutorials at HowTo.fm directory if they are unique-content and not published elsewhere on the Internet yet. They also provide fresh free content for your website.
You don’t need to sign up in order to submit your articles or tutorials. It is one of the easiest submission directories i have ever seen. You better check their submission guidelines before you take any action.
I must warn you; you should never ever use duplicate content for your article directory submissions. Otherwise you will be pinged by the search engines for ‘duplicate content’. You can copy a good proportion of an existing article, yet revise it so that it looks like an unique content.
Posted by Mert Erkal on Jan 28, 2008 in Blog, WordPress | 3 comments
- Have you been looking for a marketplace to sell/buy custom WordPress themes, blogs, or websites? I am glad to inform you that Easy WordPress Marketplace Launched. It is also possible for you to open up your own store. Hurry up! Register in January and use the code 23ce4c3387c5 to get all your listings free till 23 February 2008, as well as a $3.00 signup credit in your account.
- Alex Sysoef has written a great post titled WordPress AdSense System Review. If you are interested in making Adsense money with your WordPress blog, then you should read Alex’s review. Also do not forget to take a look at Creating Clean Archives for WordPress Video Tutorial by Alex.
- Blogging Mix in partnership with Brian Gardner and R.Bhavesh, two of the most celebrated WordPress Theme Designers, is giving away WordPress Themes. Read more here:Win Your Blog a New WordPress Theme
- One of the most talented bloggers in the blogosphere, Stephan Miller, has written a post about some “must have” WordPress plugins. Read here: links for 2008-01-26
- If you are looking for great amount of free (and premium) WordPress themes, then i suggest you to take a look at WPThemez. You also have an option to vote for your favorite WordPress theme.